Home > Irish Hills Observation Towers
|Courtesy of Michigan In Pictures|
Built in 1924, the first of these twin towers was opened by the Michigan Observation Company so that visitors could view the undulating landscape from its highest point. A "spite tower" was built soon after. And still later, both of the towers' owners opened restaurants catering to tourists. At one point there was even a tourist hotel just to the east of the towers. Now, surrounded by large boulders, the towers, though not open to visitors, remain tall sentinels on U.S. 12.